We have had to change the way that some of our services operate to meet the guidelines set out by the government in response to the Coronavirus pandemic and to provide additional support for those affected.
Composting is nature's way of recycling. It is a satisfying way to turn fruit, vegetable and garden trimmings into a dark, crumbly soil conditioner. Composting can:
- Save you money by replacing shop-bought compost
- Help your garden by improving the fertility of your soil
- Save water by helping the soil hold moisture
- Benefit the environment by recycling valuable organic resources and extending the life of our landfill sites
A variety of reduced home composting equipment is available for Torbay residents to purchase at Get Composting, just enter your postcode to view the available products.
For information about how to compost effectively at home visit Recycle Devon's how to compost page.
Household waste recycling centre
The recycling centre in Paignton is open seven days a week and garden waste is accepted for composting.
Collection points are currently suspended due to the coronavirus pandemic.
Garden waste collection service
You can book a collection of garden waste from households in Torbay, at a cost of £12 for up to 8 bags (standard black bin bag size) and £1 for every additional bag (standard black bin bag size). For further details of this service or to arrange a collection, please phone 01803 701316.
This service is for household garden waste only. No plastic waste, soil, rubble or branches over 10cm (4 inches) in diameter.
- Book a slot a the tip (recycling centre)
- When is my bin collected?
- What to do with garden waste
- What can I do with bulky waste?
- What goes in my bin?
- My bin hasn't been collected
- Get a clinical or sharps waste collection
- Where are the recycling banks?
- Get a new/replacement bin
- Flats and communal collections
- Recycle electrical items
- Get an assisted collection
- How can I reduce my waste and save money?
- Commercial waste collections
- Recycling card and paper
- Recycling Metal
- Recycling Glass
- Litter and litter bins
- Visit Plymouth Energy from Waste Facility and Combined Heat and Power Plant
- Where does my recycling go?
- Bin lookup