Composting is nature's way of recycling. It is a great way to turn fruit, vegetable and garden trimmings into a dark, crumbly soil conditioner. Composting can:
- Save you money by replacing shop-bought compost
- Help your garden by improving the fertility of your soil
- Save water by helping the soil hold moisture
- Help the environment by:
- recycling valuable organic resources
- extending the life of our landfill sites
Torbay residents can buy a range of composting equipment at a reduced price.
Recycle Devon's how to compost guide can help you to get the most from composting.
You can also take garden waste to the recycling centre. Make sure you book a slot before you go.
Garden waste collection points
Monthly garden waste collection points operate in Brixham and Torquay every month between February and November. Torbay residents can take their household garden waste to the collection point between the hours of 9am and 1pm. The waste is then sent for composting.
Restrictions: These services are for household garden waste only. No plastic bags, soil, rubble or branches over 10cm (4 inches) in diameter. No commercial waste. Please do not deposit any waste at the sites outside of the dates and times listed below. Anyone seen doing so is likely to be prosecuted for fly tipping.
Venue: Brixham College, Higher Ranscombe Road, Brixham
Date: First Sunday of every month
Time: 9:30am to 1:30pm
- Sunday 8 May (second Sunday)
- Sunday 5 June
- Sunday 3 July
- Sunday 7 August
- Sunday 4 September
- Sunday 2 October
- Sunday 6 November
Venue: Torquay Town Hall car park
Date: Second and fourth Sunday of every month
Time: 9:30am to 1:30pm
- Sunday 15 May (third Sunday)
- Sunday 29 May (fifth Sunday)
- Sunday 12 June
- Sunday 26 June
- Sunday 10 July
- Sunday 24 July
- Sunday 14 August
- Sunday 28 August
- Sunday 11 September
- Sunday 25 September
- Sunday 9 October
- Sunday 23 October
- Sunday 13 November
- Sunday 27 November
Book a collection
If you are struggling to take garden waste to the recycling centre we can collect it for you for a small fee. This service is for household garden waste only. We won't collect plastic waste, soil, rubble or branches over 10cm (4 inches) in diameter.
From 1 December we won't be taking cash or cheque payments. You must book your collection online using a debit or credit card.
If you need help making a booking call SWISCo on 01803 701316.
How much it costs
It costs £12 for up to 8 bags (standard black bin bag size) and £1 for every extra bag (standard black bin bag size).
- Book a slot at the tip (recycling centre)
- When is my bin collected?
- What to do with garden waste
- What can I do with bulky waste?
- What goes in my bin?
- My bin hasn't been collected
- Get a clinical or sharps waste collection
- Where are the recycling banks?
- Get a new/replacement bin
- Flats and communal collections
- Recycle electrical items
- Get an assisted collection
- How can I reduce my waste and save money?
- Commercial waste collections
- Recycling card and paper
- Recycling Metal
- Recycling Glass
- Litter and litter bins
- Visit Plymouth Energy from Waste Facility and Combined Heat and Power Plant
- Where does my recycling go?
- Recycling Blog
- Recycling Support Coordinators