What can I do with bulky waste?
Find out what to do with large household items you don't want and how to request a collection.
You can sell unwanted items on a resale site such as eBay, Gumtree, Preloved or Facebook marketplace. For help on how to reuse and recycle other unwanted items visit Recycle Devon's Recycling A to Z.
If your items are unsuitable for reuse you can take them to the recycling centre. Make sure you book a slot before you go.
Book a collection
From 1 December we won't be taking cash or cheque payments. You must book your collection online using a debit or credit card.
If you need help making a booking or you can't see an item on the list of things we can collectcall SWISCo on 01803 701316.
When we collect
We collect bulky waste between 6am and 4pm on:
- Mondays and Thursdays in Torquay
- Tuesdays and Fridays in Paignton and Brixham
- Wednesdays if they are only garden waste
About your collection
Put items where you usually leave your bins for collection or the nearest safe place a vehicle can park within your property. We will not enter your property.
We will only collect the items shown on the booked collection.
If you need to cancel or change your collection please call SWISCo on 01803 701316.
What we collect
We can collect
- bed bases
- household furniture including wardrobes
- white goods e.g: fridges, freezers, washing machines, cookers, dishwashers, tumble dryers
- electrical goods
- garden waste
We don't collect
- hazardous waste (in any form including liquid)
- flat/plate glass
- broken mirrors/mirrors from built in wardrobes*
- oil (cooking, car, diesel)
- paving slabs
How much it costs
|Item||Charge||Charge for additional items|
|All white goods||£30||N/A|
|Garden waste for up to 8 bags||£12||£1 per additional bag|
|Refuse sacks (up to 8 bags non recyclable black bag)||£28||£2 per additional bag|
|Commercial fridges and freezers||£84 (£70 + VAT)||N/A|
*All white goods are chargeable per item and are not covered by the £10 additional item.
|Item||Base charge||Charge per square foot/metre|
|Carpet (in square metres)||£10||£2|
|Shed (in square feet)||£10||£1.50|
Carpet charge example
5m x 4m = 20m2
£10 + (20 x £2) = £50
Shed charge example
6ft x 4ft = 24 ft2
£10 + (24 x £1.50) = £46
- Book a slot at the tip (recycling centre)
- When is my bin collected?
- What to do with garden waste
- What can I do with bulky waste?
- What goes in my bin?
- My bin hasn't been collected
- Get a clinical or sharps waste collection
- Where are the recycling banks?
- Get a new/replacement bin
- Flats and communal collections
- Recycle electrical items
- Get an assisted collection
- How can I reduce my waste and save money?
- Commercial waste collections
- Recycling Metal
- Recycling Glass
- Litter and litter bins
- Visit Plymouth Energy from Waste Facility and Combined Heat and Power Plant
- Where does my recycling go?
- Recycling Blog
- Recycling Support Coordinators