The consultation on the Proposed Modifications to the Submission Torbay Local Plan, the Community Infrastructure Levy, and the Local Validation List closed at 9.00am on Monday 23 March 2015. Late comments have not been accepted.
The consultation responses are now being considered by Spatial Planning. Representations to the Local Plan Proposed Modifications will be analysed by the Strategic Planning Team and copies forwarded to the Examination Inspector. Redacted copies are displayed on the www.torbay.gov.uk/localplanexamination webpage.
Proposed Modifications to the Local Plan
In July 2014 the new Torbay Local Plan was submitted to the Secretary of State for Independent Examination. Hearing Sessions were conducted by the Examination Inspector in November 2014 to debate key policy issues relating to the Plan’s soundness. The Proposed Modifications to the Local Plan have been prepared following the receipt of the Inspector’s subsequent ‘Initial Findings’ and ‘Further Findings’ documents, and the completion of further work by the Local Authority.
The Modifications take the form of two schedules – the ‘Proposed Main Modifications’ (to do with matters that directly affect the soundness of the Plan) and the ‘Proposed Additional Modifications’ (more minor changes that do not directly affect soundness). Related Habitats Regulations Assessment (HRA) and Sustainability Appraisal (SA) documents have also been published.
Please note that representations should be made on the Proposed Main Modifications, Additional Modifications and related HRA and SA documents only (not on the remaining unchanged parts of the Submission Plan).
- Notice of Publication of Town Planning Documents
- Schedule of Proposed Main Modifications to Local Plan
- Schedule of Proposed Main Modifications to Local Plan (Annexe 1: Policies Maps Changes)
- Schedule of Proposed Main Modifications to Local Plan (Annexe 2: Housing Tables)
- Schedule of Proposed Additional (Minor) Modifications to Local Plan
- Schedule of Proposed Additional (Minor) Modifications to Local Plan (Annexe 1: Policies Maps Changes)
- Schedule of Proposed Changes to the Sustainability Appraisal Report
- Summary of Sustainability Appraisal of Proposed Additional sites to be included as Proposed Main Modifications
- Detailed Sustainability Appraisal of Proposed Additional sites to be included as Proposed Main Modifications
- Schedule of Proposed Changes to the Habitats Regulations Assessment
- Habitats Regulations Assessment Site Appraisal Report of Proposed Additional sites to be included as Proposed Main Modifications
- Errata to Proposed Modifications to Local Plan
A ‘composite version’ of the February 2014 Proposed Submission Local Plan has been prepared for information only to show the Council’s Proposed Main Modifications and Proposed Additional (Minor) Modifications in context. However, the above Schedules remain the definitive documents that are the subject of the current public consultation.
Community Infrastructure Levy
Following publication of a Preliminary Draft CIL Charging Schedule in December 2011, the Council is now consulting on its Proposed Draft CIL Charging Schedule. This sets out the types of development upon which CIL is proposed to be charged and the proposed charging rate. The “Regulation 123 List” that sets out projects that CIL will be spent on is also published.
Local Validation List
A Draft Local List for Validation of Planning Applications was published in September 2012. A revised Local List is now being published for consultation. The List sets out the sort of information the Council will require to support different types, scales and locations of development proposals. The document also provides the basis for pre-application discussions between applicants and the Council, in order to help secure high quality sustainable development.
New Torbay Local Plan - 'A landscape for success: The Plan for Torbay - 2012 to 2032 and beyond'
The new emerging Local Plan sets out key issues and aspirations for the future, together with strategies and policies for delivering and managing change over the next 20 years and beyond. The Local Plan will form the statutory basis for decisions on spatial planning within Torbay when Adopted by Torbay Council.
Proposed Submission Torbay Local Plan
This version of the Local Plan represents what the Council believes to be the most sustainable approach for guiding development in Torbay, having regard to government guidance and good practice. The Council considers the Plan to be both legally compliant and sound in the context of the National Planning Policy Framework.
The Proposed Submission Version of the new Torbay Local Plan was published for consultation from 24 February to 7 April 2014. This Plan was drafted taking into account the responses received on previous consultations and engagement, including:
- A draft of the Local Plan which was consulted on during September - November 2012
- A vision, objectives and a growth options consultation that took place during September - November 2009
- Ongoing engagement with Torbay’s three Neighbourhood Forums, the Planning Inspectorate, Neighbouring Councils and other bodies.
Details of documents published on 24 February 2014 are as follows:
- Proposed Submission Plan
- Key Diagram and Policies Maps
- Regulation 18 Plan Preparation: Statement of Consultation and Engagement
- Sustainability Appraisal Report
- Habitats Regulations Assessment
- Local Plan Proposed Submission Documents Price List
The Local Plan, together with associated Sustainability Appraisal, Habitats Regulations Assessment and Statement of Consultation documents, can also be viewed or downloaded free of charge via the Council’s Online Consultation Portal . The interactive Policies Map is also available online, with PDF downloads available at the top of the map page.
Paper copies of Local Plan documents may be purchased from Spatial Planning at Electric House, Castle Circus, Torquay, TQ1 3DR.
Submission and Local Plan Examination
Torbay Council submitted the new Local Plan for Torbay to the Secretary of State for Examination on 31 July 2014. A separate Local Plan Examination page has been created detailing the various documents submitted as part of the Examination process and providing the latest information concerning the Examination process and related formal Hearing sessions.
The Local Plan (Proposed Submission Plan) in more detail
The Plan sets out five aspirations for balanced and sustainable growth:
- Secure economic recovery and success.
- Achieve a better connected, accessible Torbay and essential infrastructure.
- Protect and enhance a superb environment.
- Create more sustainable communities and better places.
- Respond to climate change.
Central to the Plan is safeguarding and enhancing Torbay's environment and its uniqueness. It also prioritises economic growth and new jobs for the Bay. That includes some innovative proposals to breathe new life and vitality into Torbay’s town centres, policies to provide employment space, and the promotion of investment into core tourism areas.
The Plan supports exciting new projects, including a new harbour extension for Torquay, the Northern Arm Breakwater at Brixham, expansion of primary schools, new sports facilities at Clennon Valley, water sports and cycling areas of excellence, education and employment space at West Paignton and North West Torquay. These will help Torbay make the most of the benefits that a recovering economy and the new South Devon Link Road will bring.
The National Planning Policy Framework requires local plans to make every effort objectively to meet housing, business and other development needs in an area, with sufficient flexibility to adapt to rapid change, unless the adverse impacts of doing so would significantly and demonstrably outweigh the benefits. This Plan represents what the Council believe, based on detailed assessments, to be the most appropriate level and distribution of growth, taking into account the area's requirements as well as environmental and infrastructure capacity.
- Email: email@example.com
- Tel: 01803 208804