Tor Park Road, Paignton, TQ4 7PL
Only cars are permitted every day of the week. Vans are only able to bring household waste to the site on a Thursday.
Please Note!! - last entry into the HWRC is 15 minutes before closing time
|Day||April - September||October - March|
|Monday||08:00 - 18:00||08:00 - 16:30|
|Tuesday||08:00 - 18:00||08:00 - 16:30|
|Wednesday||08:00 - 18:00||08:00 - 16:30|
|Thursday||08:00 - 18:00||08:00 - 16:30|
|Friday||08:00 - 18:00||08:00 - 16:30|
|Saturday||10:00 - 18:00||10:00 - 16:30|
|Sunday||10:00 - 18:00||10:00 - 16:30|
The recycling centre is closed on Christmas Day, Boxing Day and New Years Day but will remain open on Bank Holidays.
Torbay Council only has a legal obligation to provide recycling centre facilities for household waste, which is waste arising from the day to day running of a household and not part of the house itself.
Items from repair or improvement of houses, for example DIY-type waste, are classified as construction waste and there is no requirement for Torbay Council to provide any service for the disposal of this material or accept it free of charge.
Waste created from landscaping or garden alterations such as dismantling a rockery or digging up a patio/concrete hard standing, is also not classified as household waste. However it is recognised that facilities are still needed for residents to dispose of small quantities of DIY waste we therefore permit for small amounts of this type of waste to be disposed of free of charge as long as it is sorted into separate material streams such as wood, metals, rubble/hardcore/bricks/slabs/ tiles and plasterboard but restrictions do apply.
Small quantities of DIY waste are the equivalent of 12, (3ft x 2ft or 90cm x 60cm) bags, twice in any one year that can be lifted safely by one person. If a household is generating any larger quantities than this then they must hire a skip or arrange for alternative private disposal via a suitable licensed company
TOR2 on behalf of Torbay Council can offer this service at the Waste Transfer Station. You can bring your waste onto the weighbridge during the opening hours Monday to Thursday 8am - 4pm (last entry 3.45pm) Friday 8am - 3.30 (last entry 3.15pm). There is a minimum charge for weights up to 260 kilos, with all greater weights charged at the current commercial tonnage rate (plus VAT).
Please see the list of items that are accepted free of charge and those items that are not accepted below.
View the restricted wastes page for information on disposing of DIY Waste, Black Bag Residual Waste, Tyres (not commercial vehicles), Chemicals and Asbestos Products.
- Paper, junk mail, newspapers and magazines
- Ferrous and non-ferrous metals
- Large Domestic appliances, including cookers, microwaves, washing machines etc
- Small Domestic appliances, including toasters, hairdryers, music players, etc
- Fridges and Freezers
- TV’s, PC’s including monitors
- Glass bottles and jars
- Plate glass
- Steel and aluminium cans and foil
- Clothing, textiles and shoes
- Car batteries
- Waste engine oil, cooking oil and other lubricants
- Green Waste
- Wood, wood derivatives and timber
- Liquid cartons known as Tetrapak
- Gas bottles
- Household batteries
- Fluorescent tubes
- Light bulbs
- Not Accepted:
- No commercial asbestos
- Sharps/clinical items - Visit Clinical waste page to arrange for home collection
- Animals/animal bedding
- Fireworks, flares, explosives and ammunition – please contact the local police for advice.
Waste from the following groups/premises/activities will not be allowed free of charge at the Recycling Centre, but will be accepted over the commercial weighbridge and charged at the current rates.
- Payment required:
- Landlords disposing of waste from rental properties
- Educational or Medical Establishments
- Charity shops; charitable organisations and premises (except where otherwise agreed in writing with Torbay Council)
- Any club, society or other association of persons (including allotment organisations).
- Religious establishments
- Prisons or Probation service
- Agricultural holdings, including small holdings and paddocks (excluding waste from the farmhouse itself)
- Waste from shops, businesses, traders including business waste associated with people working from home.
- Removal firms
- "Man and Van” or house clearance operators
- Waste from rented Holiday Homes/Holiday Lets/campsites/caravan parks.
Flytipping of any type of waste can result in up to a five year prison sentence or up to a £50,000 fine, so please be responsible with your waste.
- Recycling and Waste Enquiries
- Tel: 01803 701316