Food waste is collected every week by the same collection crew that empty your recycling boxes. Please leave your larger food waste bin at the edge of your property, next to your recycling boxes, by 6am on the day of collection.
Over 20% of the residual waste disposed of from Torbay residents is food waste, please use this service so that the wasted food can be used to generate electricity to power homes. Just six teabags added to your food waste caddy will generate enough electricity to boil the kettle for the next cuppa.
You should have a smaller caddy to use in the kitchen before taking the food waste out to the larger food waste bin. The larger food waste bin is the one that you leave out for collection. The lid of the larger food waste bin will lock if you close the lid and then swing the handle over the front.
Your kitchen caddy can be lined with any type of plastic bag including carrier bags, sandwich bags, pedal bin liners and bread bags. Alternatively, you can use newspaper or compostable bags to line your caddy. All liners, whether plastic, paper or compostable, are mechanically separated from the food waste and are then disposed of.
You can recycle:
- All cooked and uncooked food waste can be recycled in your food waste bin including the following;
- Bones or carcasses - this includes chicken carcasses
- Bread, pasta, rice and cereals
- Cheese and dairy products
- Fruit and vegetables and peelings
- Meat and fish
- Teabags and coffee grounds
Please remove the packaging from the food first.
You can not recycle:
- No plastic food wrapping or packaging
- No cardboard
- No garden waste or cut flowers
- No oils or liquids
- Book a slot at the tip (recycling centre)
- When is my bin collected?
- What to do with garden waste
- What can I do with bulky waste?
- What goes in my bin?
- My bin hasn't been collected
- Get a clinical or sharps waste collection
- Where are the recycling banks?
- Get a new/replacement bin
- Flats and communal collections
- Recycle electrical items
- Get an assisted collection
- How can I reduce my waste and save money?
- Commercial waste collections
- Recycling Metal
- Recycling Glass
- Litter and litter bins
- Visit Plymouth Energy from Waste Facility and Combined Heat and Power Plant
- Where does my recycling go?
- Recycling Blog
- Recycling Support Coordinators