There is certain information we need when someone dies. Both about them and the property they lived in.

If someone over 18 still lives in the property they could become responsible for paying the council tax. This will be from the date of the death. They may be able to get a single person discount. This would apply if:

  • they live alone

  • they are the only person over 18 years old living in the property

If the person who passed away lived alone, you may not have to pay council tax if both apply:

  • the property forms part of the deceased estate

  • the property remains unoccupied

Did you use the Tell Us Once service when registering the death? If you asked them to tell us so we could amend the council tax for the property then you do not need to complete this form.

  Tell us a resident has died