If your account is in credit you may be entitled to a refund.

You may not be able to have a credit refunded if you have other debts with the council (eg other council tax accounts, business rates accounts or overpaid housing benefits).

Refunds are only paid directly into a bank account.

If the council tax was paid by Direct Debit the refund will usually be paid back into the bank account the payments were from.

If you would like the refund paid into a different account or the council tax was not paid by Direct Debit, you will need to provide the account details of where you would like the refund sent. If this bank account is only in one person’s name but the council tax account was in two or more names then you will need to provide written agreement from everyone named on the bill that they are happy to have the refund paid into this account. Without written agreement you may not receive the whole amount.

  Apply for council tax refund