We have had to change the way that some of our service operates to meet the guidelines set out by the government in response to the Coronavirus pandemic and to provide additional support for those affected.

If someone living in your home is a member of a religious community and without them only one ‘adult’ lives there, you can apply for a 25 percent discount on your council tax.

If there are only members of a religious community living there you may be able to get a 50 percent discount.

Members of religious communities

A person is a member of a religious community if:

  • Their main occupation is prayer, contemplation, education, the relief of suffering
  • They have no income or capital of their own, other than any occupational pension from previous employment 
  • They are dependent on the religious community for their material needs

We will need to see proof of income.

  Tell us someone is a member of religious community

Minister of religion

You may not have to pay any council tax if the property is waiting to be occupied by a minister of religion as a residence from which they will perform the duties of their office.

  Tell us a property is being held for a minister of religion