We have had to change the way that some of our service operates to meet the guidelines set out by the government in response to the Coronavirus pandemic and to provide additional support for those affected.
If you are under 25 years of age and have previously been in the care of Torbay Council (‘looked after’), we may be able to reduce the amount of council tax you have to pay by awarding a discretionary council tax discount.
Who will qualify?
To be awarded a reduction you must be:
- A care leaver who has previously in the care of Torbay Council for at least 13 weeks since the age of 14 and in care on your 16th birthday
- Resident in Torbay
- Under 25 years old
- Named on the council tax bill
How much discount will I get?
- If you are the only person responsible to pay your bill, you will not have to pay any council tax
- If you are jointly liable we will award care leaver discount to cover your share of the bill
The amount of care leaver discount awarded is calculated after all other discounts, reliefs and exemptions that you are entitled to, have been applied.
How do I apply?
You don’t need to apply for this discount, we will be notified of care leavers that have been ‘looked after’ by Torbay Council and will automatically award any discount due.
Contact Council Tax
- £150 council tax rebate
- Homes for Ukraine Scheme
- Tell us about a move or any changes
- Bill reductions, exemptions and discounts
- Behind or struggling with your payments
- Paying your bill
- Upload your documents and evidence
- Other information
- Make an enquiry about your council tax
- Council Tax Support
- Check your account online