Landlords are not normally responsible for paying the bill as this is down to the tenants. However, if you wish to remain liable for the payments you can. You will need to either write and confirm this or supply a copy of the tenancy agreement showing you are responsible for the charge.

As the landlord of a property you may be responsible for paying the council tax in the following circumstances:

In-between tenants

When you are in-between tenants you will be responsible for paying the bill.

From 1 April 2019 there will not be any reduction in council tax for empty and unfurnished properties.

Up to 31 March 2019 a reduction can be applied for. This can be awarded for up to one month but will end on 1 April regardless of when the reduction started.

Tenants under 18

If all the tenants in the property are under the age of 18 you will be liable but you can apply to reduce the bill. View the Under 18 page for more details and to apply.

Houses in multiple occupation (HMO)

You will be responsible for paying the bill if you have more than one tenant in the property and they each have their own tenancy agreement.

You can find out if a property is classed as a HMO and who will be responsible for the council tax on our Houses in multiple occupation page.