Accessibility Skip to main content

Correct a birth or stillbirth registration

Who can apply for a correction and how you correct a mistake on a birth or stillbirth registration.

Corrections can only be made if the original information is wrong.

If things changed after you registered a birth (for example you got married) you can re-register the birth.

We may be able to make the correction but if we can't you will need to send an application to General Registration Office (GRO).

Who can make a correction

The mother or the father (if his details are on the birth certificate) can apply for a correction.


It costs £75 for corrections that we can make and £90 if the correction has to be sent to the GRO.

How to apply

Fill in the relevant application form and send it to us with proof that shows the correct information. These documents should be valid or dated around the time your child was born.

Correct details on a birth registration
Remove incorrect father’s details from a birth registration

What will happen

We will look at your application and contact you within 5 days of receiving it.

The original information will always be shown in the register. After the correction, a note will be added to the margin of the register. This will explain what the correct information is and when the correction was made.

If you apply for a new full birth certificate the note will show in the margin. Short birth certificates won't show the note in the margin.

Contact Registrars