You may be able to get a reduced bill if the property:

  • is owned by a registered charity
  • has been unoccupied for less than six months
  • has been used for the purposes of the charity up to the date it became unoccupied

The exemption applies whether or not the property is furnished and will be for a maximum period of six months providing it remains unoccupied.

  Tell us an empty property is owned by a charity

What happens next

After applying you must still pay the amount on your council tax bill until you hear from us.

Tell us about a change

If you no longer qualify or something changes you must tell us within 21 days. You may have to pay a fine if you don't tell us.

  Tell us about a change


If we refuse your application and you don't agree with our decision you can appeal. Once we get your appeal we will decide within two months.

  Appeal against a decision