There are two types of homes to rent in Torbay:
- Housing association properties
- Private rented accommodation
Renting a housing association property
You can apply to join the waiting lists for a housing association property by registering with.
The number of properties available is limited and there is a long waiting list so most people will not be successful in getting a social housing property.
If you are successful it can typically take 18 - 24 months, so if you need to move quickly then you should not rely on a Devon home Choice application to find a home.
Full details on how Devon Home Choice works and how to apply can be found on our join the housing waiting list page.
If you already live in a housing association property and don’t have an urgent need to move you can register with HomeSwapper to find another social housing tenant to swap homes with.
Renting from a private landlord
There are a wide variety of homes to rent in the private sector.
Make sure you consider carefully how much you can pay when you are looking at properties. You should work out.
If you are relying on Housing Benefit to help with your rent, you will need to know how many bedrooms you are entitled to and your Local Housing Allowance rate. You should also see how much help you can get with your rent.
Ways to find a home to rent
There are a number of places you can look:
- Letting agencies
- Local newspapers
- Supermarket or newsagent’s notice boards
If you would like to use an agency when looking for accommodation we have some contact details for agencies in Torbay that you may find helpful.
You can find more information about finding a private rented home from.
Agency fees or credit checks
You may have to pay fees for using a rental agency or for credit checks. There is no help available towards these fees.
Help with rent in advance and deposits
We cannot act as a guarantor for your tenancy, but there are schemes which may help with rent in advance and deposits.
There are different schemes depending on what help you need and whether you are currently receiving any Housing Benefit.
If you only need help with a deposit you can find full details on our deposit bond scheme and how to apply on our get help with a deposit page.
Rent in advance only or rent in advance and a deposit
How you apply depends on if you are currently receiving Housing Benefit.
I am currently getting Housing Benefit
I am not currently getting Housing Benefit
You can find more information about the renting from a private landlord from .
- Torbay Housing Needs Overview
- Empty Homes
- Renting a home
- Advice for landlords
- Finding a home
- Youth Homeless Prevention
- Houses in multiple occupation
- Advice for homeowners
- Join the housing waiting list through Devon Home Choice
- Your landlord has asked you to leave
- I need a housing inspection to ensure my home is safe
- Electrical safety standards
- Upload your documents to Housing Options
- Worried you might lose your home
- Moving home
- Melville Project
- Emergency and Temporary Accommodation
- Refugees statement
- Asylum seekers contingency accommodation
- Housing Strategy 2023 to 2030
- Housing Strategy evidence base 2023
- Housing, Community and safety policies and plans
- Plans, policies and strategies