The Welfare Support Scheme provides assistance to Torbay residents who have experienced a crisis and require help to meet an essential need. It also aims to assist Torbay residents who need support to establish themselves or maintain their independence in the community.
Encouraging engagement with wider support services is a key underlying principle of the scheme. We aim to use each claim as a potential opportunity to help residents tackle deep-rooted issues and address their longer-term needs by offering access to advice and helping people to move away from crisis toward greater financial stability.’
Who can we help?
To be considered for Welfare Support, you must:
- Be a Torbay resident
- Be without immediate resource to meet the basic needs of yourself and/or dependents
- Require support to remain in the community or to re-integrate into the community
- Have no other means of support through family, friends or donations
All applications will be considered on an individual basis and consider the vulnerability and personal circumstances of each applicant. An individual’s personal circumstances, the amount requested and the importance of the need within the circumstances will form the basis for the prioritisation of awards.
The welfare support scheme will consider applications for things such as:
- Daily living, including essential fuel costs and food parcels
- Essential furniture and white goods
- Rent in advance
- Rent arrears
- Emergency removals and storage
- Essential prescriptions (if you are not exempt: Who can get free prescriptions - NHS (www.nhs.uk)
- Essential travel that was not expected
What happens once I submit my application?
Applications for daily living costs will be looked at on the day the application is received. For all applications, the Welfare support staff will call you to discuss your application. You may need to give evidence to support your application, which will be discussed on the phone. Some details of your claim may be checked with the Department of Work and Pensions and other council departments.
Wherever possible, goods and services will be provided. Where cash is the only option, payment will be made via a CashZone ATM. Any help given from the Welfare Support Scheme does not have to be repaid.
Please ensure you provide us with a contact phone number.