The Welfare Support Scheme provides assistance to Torbay residents who require help to meet an essential need. It also aims to assist Torbay residents who need support to establish themselves or maintain their independence in the community.
Who can we help?
To be considered for Welfare Support, you must:
- be over 15 years of age
- live in Torbay
- be on a welfare benefit or have very low disposable income
you may be asked to provide proof of your income, your bank details and other evidence depending on the support you apply for.
The welfare support scheme can also consider applications for things such as:
- Daily living, including fuel costs paid to landlords and food parcels
- Essential monthly expenditure, which cannot be deferred
- Essential furniture and white goods including fridges, freezers and ovens (normally only if setting up home)
- Warm clothing, soap and blankets
- Boiler service/repair
- Rent in advance
- Rent arrears
- Emergency removals and storage
- Essential prescriptions (if you are not exempt: Who can get free prescriptions - NHS (www.nhs.uk)
- Essential travel that was not expected
- Items not currently accessible through foodbanks e.g. pet food or special dietary needs
- Other immediate support necessary for the fundamental wellbeing of the applicant and family
- Signposting to essential advice and support services
Unforunately the application form is currently unavailable
If you are not on a benefit (including Universal Credit) we will need to see a bank statement that shows your income
Supplying your evidence
- Upload it using the link above
- Email it to Welfaresupport@torbay.gov.uk
- Post it to Welfare Support, Torbay Council, Torquay Town Hall, Castle Circus, TQ1 3DS
- Put it in the Welfare Support postbox on the corner of the Town Hall
What happens once I submit my application?
The Welfare support team may call or email you to discuss your application and any supporting evidence we need. Some details of your claim may be checked with the Department of Work and Pensions and other council departments.
Wherever possible, goods and services will be provided. Any help given from the Welfare Support Scheme does not have to be repaid.
Second-hand furniture stores and Charities such as Refurnish 01626 362313 stock items that are offered at a discounted price for those on certain benefits.
Please ensure you provide us with a contact phone number and an email address if at all possible.
We are prioritising existing applications for the Household Support Fund and all Welfare Support applications will be considered after this has been completed.
If you are unhappy with a decision we make about your application you can ask us to look at it.