We understand that there is a rise in the cost of living. We want to make sure we support our residents where we can to the best of our abilities. If you need advice, support or urgent help, there are organisations and schemes that could benefit you.

Grants and support for energy and living costs

Government schemes

  • Household Support Fund: There is extra funding available from the government’s Household Support Fund and this will enable us to give financial support to those people on low incomes who would otherwise struggle with energy bills and food. The scheme runs until September 2022. More details about the scheme in Torbay.
  • Council Tax Rebate scheme: aims to support households with their energy bills. You can find full details of the scheme on our council tax rebate page.
  • Energy Bills Support Scheme: Domestic electricity customers in Great Britain will receive a £200 reduction in their electricity costs from this October, through the Energy Bills Support Scheme.
  • Winter Fuel Payment: If you were born on or before 26 September 1955 you could get between £100 and £300 from the government to help you pay your heating bills. This is known as a Winter Fuel Payment.

Welfare support scheme

The Welfare Support Scheme provides assistance to Torbay residents who require help to meet an essential need. It also aims to assist Torbay residents who need support to establish themselves or maintain their independence in the community.

Help with paying rent and Council Tax

Help with paying bills

  • Warm Home Discount Scheme: You could get money off your electricity bill for the winter under the Warm Home Discount Scheme. The money is not paid to you, it is a one-off discount on your electricity bill, between October and March. You may be able to get a discount on your gas bill instead if your supplier provides you with both gas and electricity. 
  • Cold Weather Payment: You may get a Cold Weather Payment if you are getting certain benefits or Support for Mortgage Interest. 
  • Citizens' Advice: You can find lots of information about energy advice and grants to help pay off your energy debts on the Citizens' Advice website.

Help with food costs

Help with paying for childcare

Find out where you can get help and advice with your childcare costs.

Help with debt and money problems

Find out who can help you if you have debt and money problems.

Advice for energy use and rising costs


Department of Work and Pensions offer Budgeting Loans.

A Budgeting Loan can help pay for:

  • furniture or household items (for example, washing machines or other ‘white goods’)
  • clothes or footwear
  • rent in advance
  • costs linked to moving house
  • maintenance, improvements or security for your home
  • travelling costs within the UK
  • costs linked to getting a new job
  • maternity costs
  • funeral costs
  • repaying hire purchase loans
  • repaying loans taken for the above items

Other useful resources