Coronavirus Latest information and updates
Feedback Help us to improve our website

Staying safe in hot weather. Find out how to protect yourself and others in the summer months.

We are currently working through a very high level of demand for assistance.  Due to this demand, we would like to apologise that our processing times are longer than we would like.

Our phone lines will only be open on Monday and Wednesday 9am to 1pm until further notice.

Please bear with us at this busy time, we will contact you when your application has been processed.

There is extra funding available from the government’s Household Support Fund and this will enable us to give people on low incomes financial support to those who would otherwise struggle with energy bills and food.

  • Working age households - This scheme has now closed to new applications, applications already submitted will be processed shortly.
  • Pension age households - The maximum award we can provide is £100 towards food and for those applicants who are liable to pay energy costs, another £100 towards those costs (£200 in total).

Only one application will be considered per household for the scheme from 1 April to 30 September 2022.

Households that previously applied for support for the period 1 December 21 to 31 March 2022 are welcome to reapply.

If you are waiting to hear about an application, please do not complete a second form.

Funding from the Household Support Fund has been allocated for food vouchers for Free School Meals-eligible children and young people.

Eligible children from early years through to college are identified by their education provider.

Your child’s nursery, school or college provider will issue communication about each holiday period on behalf of the council. 

Find out more about Free School Meals.

There is a limited budget available for working-aged and pension-aged households and this scheme will close when funding is no longer available.

Who can we help?

To be considered for Household Support, you must be:

  • over 16 years of age
  • living in Torbay
  • working age and receiving a welfare benefit
  • pension age and receiving pension credit

  Apply here for the Household Support fund


Any help given from the Household Support Scheme does not have to be repaid and will be paid directly into your bank account.

Other financial support

Torbay Food Alliance can provide a range of support and advice, telephone: 01803 446022

Other ways to apply

Paper application forms will be available from all libraries.

Please either:

  • Email it to 
  • Post it to Welfare Support, Torbay Council, Torquay Town Hall, Castle Circus, TQ1 3DS
  • Put it in the Welfare Support postbox on the corner of the Town Hall

What happens once I submit my application?

  • We may call or email you to discuss your application and any supporting evidence we need. Some details of your claim may be checked with the Department of Work and Pensions and other council departments.
  • We will contact you as soon as your application has been reviewed by one of the team.