Accessibility Skip to main content

Receiving Universal Credit

Important information about Universal Credit

Universal Credit (UC) is paid by the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP). It is a single monthly payment for living and housing costs for working age people.

UC information and how to apply

Most people of working age can't claim housing benefits. Any help with housing costs for rent must be made through the DWP and Universal Credit.

For help with Council Tax, you still need to make an application for Working Age Council Tax Reduction (WACTR)

Apply for Working Age Council Tax Reduction

People who can't get UC

Universal Credit will not pay housing costs if:

  • you are single and of state pension age
  • part of a couple and at least one of you was state pension age on 14 May 2019
  • you qualify for the severe disability premium and get:
    • income Support
    • Employment Support Allowance
    • Jobseekers Allowance
    • Housing Benefit
    • or one of these benefits has ended in the last month
  • live in supported accommodation
  • have been placed in temporary accommodation by us
Apply for housing benefit

Change of circumstances

If you get Universal Credit and Council Tax Support, you need to tell us of any changes:

  • to your address
  • to your household
  • to the amount of Universal Credit you get
Tell us about a change of circumstances

Contact Benefits