Accessibility Skip to main content

Discretionary Housing Payments (DHP) and Council Tax Discretionary awards

Extra help with housing costs for people who receive Housing Benefit or Universal Credit for housing costs and with Council Tax (normally for people who get Council Tax Support)

We are currently working through a very high level of demand for assistance. Due to this demand, we would like to apologise that our processing times are longer than we would like. Please bear with us at this busy time, we will contact you when your application has been processed.

Struggling to pay your rent?

If you receive Universal Credit for Housing Costs or Housing Benefit, we can often help.

You can make a claim for Discretionary Housing Payments.

These can help with things like:

  • Shortfalls between your rent and the Universal Credit or Housing Benefit you get
  • Rent in advance for people needing to move (e.g. to reduce your costs or escape domestic abuse) 
  • Deposits
  • Rent arrears to enable you to maintain your tenancy

Council Tax

You can also claim extra help with your Council Tax. You normally need to be getting Council Tax Reduction (working age) or Support (pensioners). If you are working age we need to check that the amount is correct before considering extra help. Please:

If you are the qualifying age for state pension, please just complete the Discretionary application form below.

  Download the Discretionary application form

Other help with rent in advance and deposits

If you cannot claim Discretionary Housing Payments because you do not receive either Housing Benefit or the Universal Credit housing costs element you may be eligible for Welfare Support to help with rent in advance and/or a deposit.

This page was last updated on 05/04/2024 09:46:06

Was this page helpful?

Let us know how we're doing using the form below. We're constantly trying to improve this website and your feedback is very important to us.

We will only use this email address to respond to any issues raised in this feedback.

Contact Benefits