Accessibility Skip to main content

If you or your partner are employed

Information on how earnings are used when working out pension age Council Tax Support.

The current processing time for new applications and changes to benefit claims is an average of 6 weeks.

If you contact us with a general enquiry online we will reply to you within two working days.

If you or your partner are employed we need to see proof of all earnings. You need to provide:

  • The last five payslips, if paid weekly
  • The last three payslips if paid fortnightly
  • The last two payslips, if paid monthly or four weekly

If you do not have payslips or they are handwritten please ask your employer to complete an employed earnings form.

Earnings Certificate
Employers should complete this certificate if their employee has applied for housing benefit or council tax support

If you have just started work, you will need to ask your employer to provide us with a contract of employment or details of your likely gross earnings, tax and National Insurance deductions and any pension you will pay. We will then need to see your payslips as above. We will then review your wages periodically and ask for proof if we need it. There are some wage changes that we need to know about straight away – Please go to what changes you must tell us about 

What earnings we use when working out your benefit

We use the gross amount you earn and take off what you pay for tax and National insurance, and 50 percent of any pension you pay.

We can also take off a set amount from your earnings every week:

  • £5 if you are single
  • £10 if you are a couple
  • £20 if you are disabled or a carer
  • £25 if you are a single parent

This page was last updated on 09/04/2024 07:30:48

Was this page helpful?

Let us know how we're doing using the form below. We're constantly trying to improve this website and your feedback is very important to us.

We will only use this email address to respond to any issues raised in this feedback.

Contact Benefits