Free off-peak travel is available for older people or those with certain disabilities with a bus pass.


To apply for a free bus pass you must be a permanent resident of Torbay and eligible on grounds of age or disability.

  Download a bus pass application

You will need to take your completed form, together with one document as proof of residency and one document for proof of eligibility to one of the following issuing outlets: 

To apply for a free bus pass you must be a permanent resident of Torbay (if you are unsure, check which authority collects your council tax). You must also be eligible on grounds of age or disability.


You must be a permanent Torbay resident and of state pensionable age. You can check your eligibility by using the State Pension Calculator.

Check your eligibility for a bus pass  Opens in a new window


If you are not eligible by reason of age you must have a disability that:

  • is blind or partially sighted
  • is profoundly or severely deaf
  • is without speech
  • has a disability, or has suffered an injury, which has a substantial and long-term adverse effect on your ability to walk
    does not have arms or has long-term loss of the use of both arms
  • has a learning disability
  • or, if applied, would have their application for a driving licence refused on the grounds of medical fitness (apart from due to persistent misuse of drugs or alcohol).

Details of the documentary evidence required to establish eligibility in each of these disability categories is contained in the information booklet.

Please note:

As some medical conditions can change over time, in most cases disabled person's passes will not be renewed automatically upon expiry and fresh documentary evidence will be required as detailed in the application booklet. If you hold a disabled pass that is about to expire and need advice about this please call the Concessionary Fares Desk on 01803 207766
Carer's passes are not given financial support by Central Government, and regrettably for this reason, they are not issued by Torbay Council.

When applying for a new pass, you will need to provide the following with your application form:

  1. A clear and recent passport photo with a light background.
  2. Proof of address - please attach a copy of one of the following:
    • valid driving licence
    • most recent Council Tax bill
    • utility bill no more than 3 months old
    • bank statement no more than 3 months old
    • proof of pension entitlement
    • NHS medical card.

If you are applying for a bus pass due to your age you will also need to provide proof of age - please attach a copy of one of the following:

  • passport
  • birth certificate
  • marriage certificate
  • valid driving licence
  • proof of pension entitlement
  • NHS medical card.

If you are applying for a bus pass due to a disability you will also need to provide evidence of your disability - please attach a copy of one of the following:

  • Evidence you are in receipt of war pensioners mobility supplement.
  • A copy of your entry in a local authority register of disabled people.
  • Evidence of registration as blind or sight impaired.
  • An award letter for guarantee income payment for tariff levels 1 to 8 under 2005 armed forces compensation scheme.
  • A letter, assessment, or report from an independent health or social care specialist such as an Optometrist, Audiologist or a specialist in learning disabilities. This letter must state that you suffer from a specific illness or disability, and that, in their opinion, this illness/disability meets the requirements of part (f) or (g) of Section 146 of The Transport Act 2000.
  • A certificate showing you are receiving the higher rate component of mobility allowance of the disability living allowance, or higher rate attendance allowance.
  • A letter from the Department of Transport stating that under Part III of the Road Traffic Act 1988, you have been refused or had your licence withdrawn on medical grounds pursuant to section 92 of that Act. Or a letter from a medical specialist stating that an application for a driving licence would be refused on these grounds. This does not apply if your licence was withdrawn or refused due to the persistent misuse of drink or drugs.

If your pass has been lost, stolen, damaged or is not working please contact us on 01803 207766.

Passes that are lost, quite often turn up a few days later. We recommend you wait a few days and then contact the appropriate local bus operator: Stagecoach (01803 664500), Local Link (01803 666736), Country Bus (01626 833664) or Dartmouth Steam Railway & Riverboat Company (01803 555872) before applying for a replacement. If your pass has been returned to us, arrangements will be made to get it back to you as soon as possible.

Please be aware that there is a £10 charge for the replacement of a lost, damaged and non-working pass. A non-working pass will be replaced free of charge if it is less than 6 months old. A stolen pass will also be replaced free of charge with a valid police crime reference number.

Please tell us of any change to your contact or personal details.  If you are moving from Torbay, you should surrender your pass.  We would also be grateful to next of kin for returning any passes from those that pass away. We can then update our records to prevent unnecessary further contact.