To apply for a free disabled persons bus pass you must be a permanent resident of Torbay and eligible on grounds of disability. Applicants must have reached the age of 5 years and have a relevant disability that is considered permanent, or which is likely to last at least 12 months.
- blind or partially sighted
- profoundly or severely deaf
- without speech
- have a disability, or has suffered an injury, which has a substantial and long-term adverse effect on your ability to walk
- does not have arms or has long-term loss of the use of both arms
- have a learning disability
- or, if applied, would have their application for a driving licence refused on the grounds of medical fitness (apart from due to persistent misuse of drugs or alcohol).
Check the Eligibility page for more detailed descriptions of these disability categories and war veterans and the types of evidence we will need to process your application.
How to apply - Online
To apply online you will need the following:
- A valid email address - so that we can confirm the status of your application. It can be your email address or someone who is helping you.
- A password - this needs to be 8 to 12 characters long and contain upper and lowercase letters, at least one number and one symbol.
- Your home post code in Torbay
- Your National Insurance Number
- A clear and recent, passport-style Opens in a new window digital photo - in PDF or JPEG format and in colour (black and white photo's will not be accepted)
How to apply – Application form
Please note the points below before completing your application form.
- Your home postcode must be within Torbay
- You will need to provide a clear and recent passport-style colour photo (black and white photos will not be accepted)
- You will need to provide us with proof of eligibility – check the Eligibility page for the types of evidence we will need to process your application.
You must provide your own photocopies of original documentation to support your application (proof of residency, age, disability etc. see application form for more information). Please note, we cannot accept responsibility for original documents being sent to us.
Once you have completed your application form please put the application form, supporting photocopied documentation and passport sized photograph in an envelope and either send by post to Torbay Council, Concessionary Fares, Community & Customer Services, Lower Ground Floor, Town Hall, Torquay, TQ1 3DR or take the envelope to your local library and post in the internal post box.34464
Getting your bus pass
Once you submit your application we will review your application and subject to the information provided being accepted your pass will be ordered. If we require any additional information we will contact you using the contact details provided on your application.
Your pass will be posted direct to your home address. Please allow approximately 10 working days to receive it.
Disabled bus passes will be valid for between one and five years depending on the nature of the disability and/or the type of proof provided.
- Report a problem with a road or pavement
- Highway maintenance
- Road safety
- Travel Torbay
- Highways licenses and permits
- Heavy and abnormal loads
- Helicopter landings
- Report a dead animal on a road or footpath
- Apply for access lines
- Report parking problems
- highways related plans, policies and reports.