To apply for a free older person's bus pass you must be a permanent resident of Torbay and eligible on grounds of age. Free bus travel is linked to the state pension age. You can get a bus pass for free travel when you reach the female state pension age (whether you’re a man or a woman). This will change in the coming years to reflect the gradual change in pensionable age.
How to apply
You can apply for an older person bus pass on the day you become eligible. The bus pass will be sent to you via post and should be received within 7 to 10 days from the date of application. To apply online you will need the following:
- A valid email address - so that we can confirm the status of your application. It can be your email address or someone who is helping you.
- A password - this needs to be 8 to 12 characters long and contain upper and lowercase letters, at least one number and one symbol.
- Your home post code in Torbay
- Your National Insurance Number
- A clear and recent, passport-style Opens in a new window digital photo - in PDF or JPEG format and in colour (black and white photo's will not be accepted)
- Proof of eligibility - check the Eligibility page for the types of evidence we will need to process your application
Getting your bus pass
Once you submit your application a record will be created which we will approve and your pass will be ordered. If we require any additional information we will contact you using the email address you provided on your application.
Your pass will be posted direct to your home address. Please allow approximately 10 working days to receive it.
Most older person's bus passes will be valid for approximately 5 years.