To apply for a free older person's bus pass you must be a permanent resident of Torbay and eligible on grounds of age. Free bus travel is linked to the state pension age. You can get a bus pass for free travel when you reach the female state pension age (whether you’re a man or a woman). This will change in the coming years to reflect the gradual change in pensionable age. To check the date you become eligible, please visit Check your State Pension age - GOV.UK.
How to apply - Online
You can apply for an older person bus pass online on the day you become eligible. The bus pass will be sent to you via post and should be received within 7 to 10 days from the date of application. To apply online you will need the following:
- A valid email address - so that we can confirm the status of your application. It can be your email address or someone who is helping you.
- A password - this needs to be 8 to 12 characters long and contain upper and lowercase letters, at least one number and one symbol.
- Your home post code in Torbay
- Your National Insurance Number
- A clear and recent, passport-style digital photo - in PDF or JPEG format and in colour (black and white photos will not be accepted)
- Proof of eligibility - check the Eligibility page for the types of evidence we will need to process your application
How to apply – Application form
You can apply for an older person bus pass one month before you become eligible. The bus pass will be sent to you via post and should be received within 7 to 10 days from the date received by the Concessionary Fares office. Please note the points below before completing your application form.
- Your home postcode must be within Torbay
- You will need to provide a clear and recent passport-style colour photo (black and white photos will not be accepted)
- You will need to provide us with proof of eligibility – check the Eligibility page for the types of evidence we will need to process your application
You must provide your own photocopies of original documentation to support your application (proof of residency, age, disability etc. see application form for more information). Please note, we cannot accept responsibility for original documents being sent to us.
Once you have completed your application form please put the application form, supporting photocopied documentation and passport sized photograph in an envelope and either send by post to Torbay Council, Concessionary Fares, Community & Customer Services, Lower Ground Floor, Town Hall, Torquay, TQ1 3DR or take the envelope to your local library and post in the internal post box.34464
Getting your bus pass
Once you submit your application we will review your application and subject to the information provided being accepted your pass will be ordered. If we require any additional information we will contact you using the contact details provided on your application.
Your pass will be posted direct to your home address. Please allow approximately 10 working days to receive it.
- Report a problem with a road or pavement
- Highway maintenance
- Road safety
- Travel Torbay
- Highways licenses and permits
- Heavy and abnormal loads
- Helicopter landings
- Report a dead animal on a road or footpath
- Apply for access lines
- Report parking problems
- highways related plans, policies and reports.