You can apply to move your child from their current school to another school. This happens outside of the normal admissions process.
We deal with in year applications for most schools in Torbay, but some deal with their own applications.
Before you apply
It is best to take some time to think about which school would be best for your child. You should find out as much as you can about moving schools by:
- speaking to your current headteacher before deciding to change your child's school
- thinking carefully about the move if your child is in secondary school. A move may disrupt their studies and exam results.
- reading TIPS 4 - In Year Admissions for primary and secondary schools
- reading the schools’ admissions policies
- contacting the schools to see their prospectus and looking at their websites
- visiting the schools if you can
- check the school transport policy
- check if the school you want to go to deals with their own applications
Moving out of Torbay
If you are moving out of Torbay to another area, you should contact the council in the area you are moving to. They will tell you how to apply for a school place in their area.
You will need to contact the school to find out more about their application process.
Applying for a place
You must register for an online account to apply to move schools during the school year.
- you can list up to 3 schools in order of preference
- you can provide extra information if you think this would help us to place their child at a school
Apply to change schools during the school year
These schools will ask you to fill in an extra form with your application. Contact the school for a copy of the forms you need:
- All Saints, Babbacombe C of E Primary School
- Collaton St Mary C of E Primary School
- Galmpton C of E Primary School
- Our Lady of the Angels Catholic Primary School
- Priory RC Primary School
- Sacred Heart RC Primary School
- St Margaret Clitherow RC Primary School
- St Marychurch C of E Primary School
- Torre C of E Primary School
Your preferred school may prioritise the children of staff in their admission criteria. If you work at the school then you will need to fill in a form to tell the school about your child's application.
You must complete these forms as well as the main application form.
Schools who deal with their own applications
Some schools deal with their own in year applications. You should contact them for more information and to apply
- Barton Hill Academy
- Churston Ferrers Grammar School
- Ellacombe Academy
- Ilsham Church of England Academy
- St Cuthbert Mayne
- Torquay Boys’ Grammar School
- Torquay Girls’ Grammar School
- Warberry Primary School
Other useful information
Contact Student Services
- Contact us
- Tel: 01803 208908
- School closures
- Find a school
- School term and holiday dates
- Apply for a school place
- Free school meals
- Home to school transport
- Information for schools
- Adult learning
- Complain about a school
- School governors
- Elective Home Education
- School Improvement
- Torbay Virtual School
- Medical Tuition Service Torbay
- School reporting forms
- Special educational needs and disability (SEND)
- Music Education Hubs
- Applying for a school place