Accessibility Skip to main content

What evidence we need

Find out what proof we need for your pension age council tax support claim.

The current processing time for new applications and changes to benefit claims is an average of 6 weeks.

If you contact us with a general enquiry online we will reply to you within two working days.

When you make a claim for council tax support you need to send us supporting evidence. Our claim form gives you details of all the evidence you will need to give us.

You should submit your claim even if you do not have all of the supporting information and evidence we need, but please make sure you provide any missing information to us within one month. If you do not provide all the evidence we need, we might not be able to pay you.

Submitting your documents online is the easiest and quickest way to provide your evidence. You can get information on our upload evidence to support a benefit claim page.

Evidence that we may need

Evidence of identity

  • Birth certificate
  • Marriage certificate
  • Passport
  • Medical card
  • Driving license
  • UK residence permit
  • European Union Settlement Scheme (EUSS) status
  • Home Office letter
  • Recent paid gas or electricity bill.

We will need to see at least 2 of these documents for yourself and any partner.

  • National Insurance number card
  • Pay slips
  • Letters from the Department for Work and Pensions, or Tax Office.

We will need to see at least 2 of these documents for yourself and any partner.

  • Your last five wage slips if you are paid every week
  • Your last three wage slips if you are paid fortnightly
  • Your last two wage slips if you are paid monthly or 4 weekly

If you are unable to obtain wage slips please ask your employer to complete a certificate of earnings.

Earnings Certificate
Employers should complete this certificate if their employee has applied for housing benefit or council tax support

If you have just started work please supply your contract of employment or a letter from your employer.

If you are self employed you will need to complete a Self Employed Earnings Form.

  Self-employed Earnings Form

  • Pension slips
  • Proof of other benefits
  • Proof of any other income that you receive

If you and your partner hold capital over £9500 we need to see the following:

  • At least the last 2 months details for all your bank, building society or post office accounts
  • Premium Bonds
  • National Savings Certificates
  • Stocks, shares, bonds and unit trusts
  • A financial interest in a property that you own or jointly own
Property valuation form
We may need the current market value of the property so please complete the valuation form and provide proof where requested
This page was last updated on 02/04/2024 10:58:02

Was this page helpful?

Let us know how we're doing using the form below. We're constantly trying to improve this website and your feedback is very important to us.

We will only use this email address to respond to any issues raised in this feedback.

Contact Benefits