Update January 2023
- Following six months of engagement and consultation during 2022 the Paignton and Preston Seafront Masterplan was approved by Cabinet in January 2023.
- As a reminder, the Masterplan includes the sea defences that are needed on both Paignton and Preston seafronts to protect these areas from rising sea levels over the next 50 years. It has been estimated that over the next 50 years of climate change the total number of properties at risk of flooding is over 350. By providing defences now this risk can be drastically reduced.
- The Masterplan for the seafronts in Paignton and Preston has been developed to protect and improve the precious open spaces along the seafront. It also looks at creating a happy, healthy and vibrant place that celebrates the special qualities of our seafront areas.
- The plan has been divided into phases and these will be delivered over a number of years, as and when funding is available. The first projects to be delivered will be the sea defence elements and £4.6milion has been secured from the Environment Agency, Section 106 contributions and the Future High Streets Fund for this part.
- Further design work will now be commissioned so that a full planning application for the sea defence part of the Masterplan can be submitted later in Autumn 2023.