Universal Credit is being rolled out fully in Torbay from September 2018 and will affect most working age people on Housing Benefit.  Find out how this affects you on our Universal Credit page.

The current processing time for new applications and changes to benefit claims is an average of 6 weeks. If you contact us with a general enquiry online we will reply to you within two working days.

From April 2013, Council Tax Support (CTS) replaced Council Tax Benefit. CTS provides help to people who are unemployed or on a low income to pay their council tax.

The amount you get depends on:

  • How much your council tax is
  • Your household income and circumstances
  • Whether other people live with you

How Much Can You Get?

The maximum amount(s) are as follows:

  • Up to 72.5% of the yearly council tax for working age people
  • Up to 100% of the yearly council tax for people who have reached pensionable age

If you or your partner are pension age and receive Income Based Job Seekers Allowance, Income Related Employment and Support Allowance or Income Support, you will be treated as working age and have to pay at least 27.5% of your charge.

How much your yearly council tax charge is depends on which band your house is in.

You will not be able to claim if:

  • You are working age and have savings or capital over £6,000
  • You’ve reached pension age and have savings or capital over £16,000

  Apply for Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support

Changes from April 2018 that will affect people of working age

  • The maximum amount will be 70% of the yearly council tax.
  • Council Tax support will be restricted to the equivalent of a property band D charge – this will mean that if you live in a property that is in band E, F, G or H the maximum award will be based on 70% of the Council Tax liability of the band D charge in your area.
  • Claim and notification process for people receiving Universal Credit

If you would like to view our current policy please see out Council Tax Support policies page.

The amount you get may be reduced if you have someone, other than your partner, living with you such as grown up children, friends or other relatives. These deductions are known as ‘non-dependant’ deductions.

We will not make a deduction if you or your partner are:

  • Registered blind
  • Getting Attendance Allowance
  • Getting the care component of Disability Living Allowance
  • Getting the standard or enhanced rate of the daily living component of Personal Independence Payments

If you have a couple living with you we will only take one deduction. If one is working full time we will add the joint income together and use this to decide the deduction. If neither are working we will take the higher one of the deductions that apply.

The amount of the deduction depends on whether or not they work full time and if they do their total gross weekly income.

If you are awarded Council Tax Support it will be credited directly to your council tax account. A new bill will be sent to you showing the amount you have been awarded and any changes to the amount you pay.

You can claim SAR if you are of pension age and don’t get the 25% single person discount because at least one other adult lives with you.

The other adult(s) must be over 18 years and cannot be your partner or a tenant or boarder, who is paying you rent.

Apply for Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support

If you receive Housing Benefit but did not qualify for Council Tax Support when you claimed and you think you may now qualify, you only need to complete our short Council Tax Support application form. 

  Download the intention to claim CTS form