The current processing time for new applications and changes to benefit claims is an average of 6 weeks.

If you contact us with a general enquiry online we will reply to you within two working days.

If your circumstances change and you're entitled to less council Tax Support you may be overpaid.

In most cases if we have paid you too much you will have to pay it back.

If you have been overpaid we will write and tell you:

  • The reason for the overpayment
  • The amount of the overpayment
  • How we worked out the overpayment
  • Who the overpayment is recoverable from

You should read the letter carefully and check the information. If you think the overpayment is wrong you can ask us to explain it.

Paying back your overpayment

If you have received too much Council Tax Support it will be added back onto your council tax account and you will be sent an amended bill showing your new payments.

If you are having problems paying your council tax please don’t ignore the problem there are ways we may be able to help.