Accessibility Skip to main content

What to do if you disagree with a Council Tax Support decision

What to do if you think you're not receiving the correct amount of Council Tax Support.

The current processing time for new applications and changes to benefit claims is an average of 6 weeks.

If you contact us with a general enquiry online we will reply to you within two working days.

When we have dealt with your claim for Council Tax Support (CTS) we will send you a Council Tax bill showing any Council Tax Support awarded for the relevant Council Tax year.

If you think there is something wrong or you disagree with a decision we’ve made you should tell us what the problem is.

We will look at your claim again and write to you within two months to tell you the outcome.

  Tell us why you think your CTS is wrong

If you still think our decision is wrong or we don’t respond within two months you can then appeal to the Valuation Tribunal Service (VTS).

Making an appeal

The VTS is an independent body not connected to the council that will arrange a hearing and then make a decision on your case.

You can find out more information and how to appeal from the Valuation Tribunal Service.

Full details of your appeal rights are given on the CTS decision letters sent to you.

This page was last updated over three months ago

Was this page helpful?

Let us know how we're doing using the form below. We're constantly trying to improve this website and your feedback is very important to us.

We will only use this email address to respond to any issues raised in this feedback.

Contact Benefits