Accessibility Skip to main content

Get Involved and have your say

Find out how you can get involved in local decisions

Do you want to have a say in how your community is run? Do you want to influence the policies and services that affect you and your neighbours? There are many ways you can get involved in local decisions and make your voice heard. Here are some of them:

Attend Council and committee meetings

You can go to most Council and committee meetings unless sensitive or confidential information is being discussed. You can see what issues are on the agenda, hear the debates, and learn how decisions are made. You can also ask questions or make statements on matters that concern you.

You can find the dates, times, and venues of the meetings on the Council website. You can also access the papers and the agenda for the meetings online before the meeting.

Accessibility information about each of the meeting locations

The Banking Hall

Most of the Council’s Committees which are held in public will take place in the Banking Hall, Town Hall, Torquay, TQ1 3DR.  


The Banking Hall can be accessed by a ground floor entrance around the corner to the left of the main Town Hall entrance and is wheelchair accessible.


Whilst toilet facilities are not available in the Banking Hall itself, there are accessible toilet facilities in adjoining premises.  Security personnel will be pleased to assist you in providing access to the toilet facilities upon request.  

The Riviera International Conference Centre, Burdett Room 

Meetings of our Full Council, where all 36 Councillors meet, normally take place in the Burdett Room at the Riviera International Conference Centre, Chestnut Avenue, Torquay, TQ2 5LZ.  


The Conference Centre can be accessed via the side entrance on the left hand side of the building and is wheelchair accessible.  


Accessible toilet facilities are located next to the Burdett Room.

Our commitment to accessibility 

We are keen to ensure that everyone can access Council meetings. If there is anything else that we can do to help you attend Council meetings, please contact 01803 207087 in advance of the meeting. If you require assistance during the meeting, please approach a member of staff who will be happy to help you and accommodate requests where possible.

Sign or start a petition

Are you concerned about a Council service or an issue that affects local people? You can organise a petition and hand it to the Council to get your message across. You can also speak and present your petition to all the councillors at a Council meeting.

A petition is a simple and effective way to show the level of public support for or against something. It can also trigger a debate or a review of a decision.

To find out how to send in a petition, visit the Submit a petition page.

Ask a question or make a statement at public question time

Public question time sessions are held at Council meetings. You can ask a question or make a statement on Council services (except planning or licensing applications).

You need to send us your question or statement 11 working days before the meeting. At the meeting, you will have five minutes to outline your question or statement. The relevant councillor or officer will then respond to you.

Speak on planning or licensing applications

If you are in support of or against a planning or licensing application, you can speak at meetings where the application will be decided. This is a chance to express your views and provide evidence to the decision-makers.

You can find out how to make a representation and speak at meetings on planning applications on the Development Management Committee page.

You can find out how to make a representation and speak at meetings on licensing applications on the Licensing Committee page.

Have your say on issues that are under scrutiny

The Council has an Overview and Scrutiny function that reviews the performance and decisions of the Council and its partners. It also examines issues of local importance and makes recommendations for improvement.

You can have your say on issues that are under scrutiny by submitting evidence, attending meetings, or taking part in consultations. You can also suggest topics for scrutiny to the Overview and Scrutiny Committee.

To find out more, visit the Overview and Scrutiny page.

Stay informed and get in touch

You can find out what decisions are going to be made and when by looking at the Executive Forward Plan. You can also access the agendas, minutes, and reports for past and upcoming meetings on the Council website.

You can also contact your local councillors, MPs, or MEPs to raise any issues or concerns you have. They are your representatives and they can help you with a range of matters.

Your representatives

Join a Community Partnership

Community Partnerships are voluntary groups of people based on each ward in Torbay. They are for people who live or work in the area to discuss issues of local concern. Through the partnerships, you can understand and influence the way services are provided in your area.

You can join a Community Partnership by attending their meetings or contacting their chairperson. You can also follow them on social media or sign up for their newsletters.

Become a councillor

Have you ever thought about becoming a councillor?

If you care about the area that you live or work in and the issues facing local people, you could be a councillor.

Being a councillor is a rewarding and challenging role. You can make a difference to your community, represent their views, and shape the future of Torbay.

No other role gives you a chance to make such a huge difference to the quality of life for people in your local area.

To find out more, visit the Become a councillor page.