The current processing time for new applications and changes to benefit claims is an average of 6 weeks.

If you contact us with a general enquiry online we will reply to you within two working days.

You can only make a new claim for Housing Benefit if you meet one of the following criteria: 

  • You are single and of state pension credit qualifying age, or
    Part of a couple and are both of state pension credit qualifying age, or
    Part of a couple and been continuously receiving Pension Credit since at least 14/05/19
    You can find your Pension Credit qualifying age using Check your State Pension age  Opens in a new window
  • Qualify for the severe disability premium  Opens in a new window and receiving Income Support, Employment Support Allowance, Jobseekers Allowance or Housing Benefit or one of these benefits has ended in the last month
  • Live in supported accommodation
  • Have been placed in temporary accommodation by the Local Authority

If not you need to claim Universal Credit  Opens in a new window  for help with paying your rent.

If you are employed we need to see proof of all earnings for you and your partner, if you have one.

You need to provide:

  • The last five payslips, if paid weekly
  • The last three payslips if paid fortnightly
  • The last two payslips, if paid monthly or four weekly

If you do not have payslips or they are handwritten please ask your employer to complete an employed earnings form.

Earnings Certificate
Employers should complete this certificate if their employee has applied for housing benefit or council tax support

If you have just started work, you will need to ask your employer to provide us with a contract of employment or details of your likely gross earnings, tax and National Insurance deductions and any pension you will pay. When you receive pay slips, you should give them to us and we will review your claim.

What earnings we use when working out your benefit

We use the gross amount you earn and take off what you pay for tax and National insurance, and 50 percent of any pension you pay.

We can also take off a set amount from your earnings every week:

  • £5 if you are single
  • £10 if you are a couple
  • £20 if you are disabled or a carer
  • £25 if you are a single parent