Accessibility Skip to main content

How much help can you get?

Find out how much help you can get with your council tax if you are of pension age.

The current processing time for new applications and changes to benefit claims is an average of 6 weeks.

If you contact us with a general enquiry online we will reply to you within two working days.

Council Tax Support provides help to people of pension age who are on a low income to pay their council tax.

The amount you get depends on:

  • whether you are of Pension Credit qualifying age
  • how much your council tax is
  • your household income and circumstances
  • whether other people live with you

  Check your State Pension age Opens in a new window

How much help you could get

The maximum amount you can receive is up to 100% of your yearly council tax.

If you or your partner are pension age and receive Universal Credit, Income Based Job Seekers Allowance, Income Related Employment and Support Allowance or Income Support, you will be treated as Working Age and have to pay at least 25% of your charge.

Apply for Working Age Council Tax Reduction

You will not qualify for any council tax reduction if you have savings or capital over £16,000.

Second Adult Rebate (SAR)

If you are of pension age, you can claim Second Adult Rebate (SAR) if you don’t get the 25% single person discount because at least one other adult lives with you. The other adult(s) must be over 18 years and cannot be your partner or a tenant or boarder, who is paying you rent.

It's not possible to get both CTS and SAR. If you qualify for both you will be awarded the higher amount.

How is it paid?

If you are awarded Council Tax Support it will be credited directly to your council tax account. A new bill will be sent to you showing the amount you have been awarded and any changes to the amount you pay.

I am already getting Housing Benefit

If you already receive housing benefit but did not qualify for council tax support when you claimed and you think you may now, you need to complete our short Intention to claim CTS application form that you can download on the link below. 

  Download the intention to claim CTS form

This page was last updated on 09/04/2024 07:28:26

Was this page helpful?

Let us know how we're doing using the form below. We're constantly trying to improve this website and your feedback is very important to us.

We will only use this email address to respond to any issues raised in this feedback.

Contact Benefits