Accessibility Skip to main content

My tenant is in arrears

What we can do if your tenant is behind with the rent.

Your tenants can only make a new claim for Housing Benefit if: 

  • A single person is of state pension age. Or if they are part of a couple and at least one of them was state pension age on 14 May 2019.
    You can find the Pension Credit qualifying age using Check your State Pension age
  • You provide them with supported accommodation
  • They have been placed in temporary accommodation by the Local Authority

If not they need to claim Universal Credit.

Payment of Housing Benefit will automatically be made direct to the landlord where we are aware that

  • Rent arrears have reached the equivalent of eight weeks or more
  • The tenant is likely to have problems paying their rent and it is in the tenants best interest

Making payments direct to private landlords

If you think a tenant is struggling with the responsibility of paying the rent, you can ask us to make payments direct.

A request for direct payment can be made by the tenant, the landlord or another interested party.

Safeguard Policy
The LHA Safeguard Policy provides safeguards for both landlords and tenants and aims to prevent rent arrears accruing and tenants being put at risk of eviction.

This page was last updated over three months ago

Was this page helpful?

Let us know how we're doing using the form below. We're constantly trying to improve this website and your feedback is very important to us.

We will only use this email address to respond to any issues raised in this feedback.

Contact Landlord information