Only the owner of a skip can apply for a licence to place it on the public highway and you must have consent from us. Failing to get a licence or comply with the conditions is an offence.

The applicant must hold a current certificate demonstrating a competent knowledge of Chapter 8 of the Traffic Signs Manual and a minimum Public Liability Insurance of £5,000,000. It is the skip owners responsibility to determine the appropriate level of cover.

Each licence is issued for one skip with standard conditions printed on the rear of the licence but we may add further special conditions. Failure to comply with conditions may result in a site visit charge being raised against the licence holder.


Three types of application can be applied for:

  1. Major Works

    Where a licence period of between 10 and 28 days is required. These applications must be made 3 months in advance of the start date. Renewals of Major Works licences must be applied for giving 10 days notice and will be for a maximum of 28 days.
  2. Standard Works

    For a maximum licence period of 10 days. Applications or renewals made with less than 10 days notice will attract enhanced charges.
  3. Emergency Works

    For a maximum licence period of 10 days but enhanced charges will apply. 

  Download the skip licence application

Alternatively you can apply for a skip licence Opens in a new window via GOV.UK.


The cost of a licence depends on the amount of notice given and if a site visit is needed. 

  • £59.96 - Over 10 days notice given *
  • £119.91 - 10 days or less notice is given *
  • £119.91 - Site visit required
  • £59.96 – 3 months’ notice must be provided for a 28 day licence, classed as major works

* Fees cover our administration and apply to applications for new licenses or renewals and are non-refundable.


If you are concerned about the safety of any licensed activity on the public highway, please report this to us.

  Report a problem with a skip