This new requirement will apply for the first time in England at the local elections on Thursday 4 May 2023.

Which forms of ID can I use to vote?

You may already have a form of photo ID that is acceptable.  You can use any of the following:

  • Passport
  • Driving licence (including provisional license)
  • Blue badge
  • Certain concessionary travel cards
  • Identity card with PASS mark (Proof of Age Standards Scheme)
  • Biometric Immigration document
  • Defence identity card
  • Certain national identity cards

For more information on which forms of photo ID will be accepted, visit or call their helpline on 0800 328 0280.

If you don’t have an accepted form photo ID

If you don’t already have an accepted form of photo ID, or you’re not sure whether your photo ID still looks like you, you can apply for a free voter ID document, known as a Voter Authority Certificate. You can apply for this at

Alternatively, you can complete a paper application form and send it to us at the following address:

Electoral Services
Torbay Council
Castle Circus

If you need any help with applying for a Voter Authority Certificate or want to request an application form, contact us either by telephoning 01803 208008 or by email to .

Information for blind and partially sighted people

The Electoral Commission have produced the following information resource in plain text format to help blind and partially sighted people, and the people who support them, to meet the new voter ID requirement:

Voter ID Easy read guide

The Electoral Commission has written a step-by-step, easy-read guide to Voter ID, for people with a learning disability. The guide takes you through what you need to know about photo ID for the local elections.

Voter ID Easy read booklet

Find out more

If you have any questions or would like to find out more, go to, or call their helpline on 0800 328 0280.