The Government requires Councils to prepare a Brownfield Register.
The Register that we have prepared (available below) consists of sites identified in the adopted Torbay Local Plan 2012-2030 and some sites with planning permission (those of a certain size). A standard set of information for each site is included. The Brownfield Register will be reviewed in accordance with legislation and guidance, kept up-to-date and made publicly available to help provide certainty for developers and communities and encourage investment in Torbay.
All sites included on the register have been assessed as meeting the National Planning Policy Framework (NPPF) definition of previously developed land Opens in a new window (brownfield land). The quantum of development identified for each site is a guide only, but has been informed by the Local Plan, Strategic Housing Land Availability Assessment, masterplanning work and discussion with landowners/developers.
To be considered suitable for housing, sites must meet the definition of brownfield land and be:
- Available (willing landowner),
- In a suitable location for housing (in accordance with policies in the adopted Torbay Local Plan 2012-2030 and the NPPF July 2018) and free from constraints that cannot be mitigated,
- Viable and capable of being delivered within 5 years or developed later on (e.g. between 6 and 10 years),
- Capable of supporting five or more dwellings or more than 0.25 hectares.
Status of sites
The Brownfield Register does not affect the status of sites that already have planning permission. The inclusion of other sites on the Part 1 of the Brownfield Register does not give them any formal status, or grant permission in principle. Planning applications on these sites will be considered on their merits in accordance with the local plan, national policy and any other material considerations.
The Brownfield Register will be reviewed at least annually (by 31st December). This may affect the status of sites included on future Brownfield Registers prepared by the Council. The compiling of future Brownfield Registers will provide the opportunity for the potential inclusion of other identified sites and public engagement on these sites.17776
The Register consists of sites identified in the adopted Torbay Local Plan 2012-2030.
- How the council works
- Get a job working for us
- Get in touch
- Voting and elections
- Finance and budgets
- Plans, policies and strategies
- Information and data
- Honorary Freeman of Torbay
- Brixham Town Council
- Pay an invoice
- Performance Management
- Achievements and awards
- Fraud within or against the council
- Fit for the future
- 0-19yrs Integrated Commissioning Project
- Community Governance Review of Torbay