Due to our pandemic response requirements, customers are advised that there may be delays in handling requests for information made under the Freedom of Information (FOI) Act, Environmental Information Regulations (EIR) or the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) for subject access requests. We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause.

We have had to change the way that some of our services operate to meet the guidelines set out by the government in response to the Coronavirus pandemic.

What information do we need?

Torbay Council needs to hold certain information about its customers and services users in order to effectively provide the services we have to deliver. For the HELAA we need to hold information submitted, such as your contact details, site details, site plans and any related correspondence.  Torbay Council is what’s known as the ‘Data Controller’ for the personal data you provide to us and we are registered with the Information Commissioner’s Office

Why we need it?

We need to know this information about you as it is necessary for the performance of a task carried out in the public interest or in the exercise of official authority vested in the Council.

Do we share your information?

We do not trade personal data for any commercial purpose, however we will share your personal information with Torbay Development Agency and consultants working on our behalf for the purpose of identifying development sites as part of planning and regeneration processes..

Outside of the above we will only disclose your personal information if we have a lawful basis to do so, for example for the prevention and detection of crime, or if we have your consent.  

How long do we keep your information?

For the HELAA we are required to hold your personal data for 25 years, after which time it will be securely destroyed. 

What are your rights?

At any time you can request to have a copy of the information Torbay Council holds about you, and if you feel the information we process about you is incorrect you can request to have it corrected or deleted. If you wish to exercise any of your rights please contact infocompliance@torbay.gov.uk or see our Information Right’s Policy which is available at www.torbay.gov.uk/your-rights   

You can contact our Data Protection Officer by emailing infocompliance@torbay.gov.uk 

If you are not happy with the way the Council has handled your personal information, please contact us so that we deal with your complaint.  However, you can also raise a complaint with the Information Commissioner’s Office, contact details can be found on their website www.ico.org.uk