All Hackney Carriage and Private Hire vehicles in Torbay that carry passengers in return of payment must be licensed by Torbay Council. Every driver that works in a licensed vehicle must also be licensed.
A licensed driver must wear a photographic identity badge at all times when they are working.
Torbay Council only issue 3 year licenses, this is in line with Enhanced Disclosure & Barring Service check which also lasts 3 years. The only badges issued are Dual Badges, which allow drivers to drive either Hackney Carriage or Private Hire vehicles.
all new applicants have to submit an application with the following documents:
- Driver Standards Assessment (Taxi Testing) certificate
- Enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service certificate
Please note we can only accept a DBS check that has been issued in the last 2 calendar months
- Group 2 medical assessment with you GP or medical practice
Please familiarise yourself with the application process before making an application & do not make an application until you have all of the required documentation.34169
Application process flowchart for becoming a licensed driver.
All new applicants must read the Hackney Carriage (Taxi) and Private Hire Policy to ensure they meet the requirements before applying for a licensed drivers badge.
The fee for a 3 year licensed drivers badge is £323.
Once an application has been made you will have to sit a knowledge test.34170
Further information on what is required at the Knowledge Test
All applicants are required to prove they have the right to work in the UK. Please read the guidance we have provided to ensure you can provide acceptable documentation.34171
List of accepted documents to prove the right to work in the UK
- Business rates
- Commercial waste
- Licensing and permits
- Support for your business
- Consumer advice
- Food safety
- Health and safety at work
- Safer workplace, better business
- Business services
- Supply us with goods or services
- Find a commercial property to lease
- Find a commercial property to buy
- Find a business event
- Trading Standards advice for businesses
- How group life insurance works