We have had to change the way that some of our service operates to meet the guidelines set out by the government in response to the Coronavirus pandemic and to provide additional support for those affected.
There are two types of reductions that charities, sports clubs or non-profit making organisations can apply for:
Registered charities and sports clubs registered as a Community Amateur Sports Club (CASC’s) are entitled to an 80 percent reduction in their business rates if the property they occupy is wholly or mainly used for charitable or club purposes.
To qualify for mandatory relief, the organisation will normally have to be registered; however some non-profit making organisations that are not registered may also qualify. These tend to be ones of a religious, charitable or educational nature or run for the good of the local community such as voluntary schools and Scout groups and Girl Guide groups.
Details of the organisations currently receiving mandatory relief is available below.5680
List of properties currently receiving mandatory charitable relief in Torbay with postal addresses and company names.
Any organisation that qualifies for 80 percent mandatory rate relief can also apply for discretionary rate relief for the remaining 20 percent of rates bill.
This relief can also be granted for up to 100 percent of the rates charged to certain non-profit making organisations. To be eligible the property must be used for charitable, religious or educational purposes, run for the good of the local community or used wholly or mainly for recreation.
We cannot consider an application for discretionary relief without the accounts for your organisation. You will need to provide the most recent audited accounts, or, if you do not have these, the latest draft accounts.9484
Contact Business Rates
- Business rates
- Commercial waste
- Licensing and permits
- Support for your business
- Consumer advice
- Food safety
- Health and safety at work
- Safer workplace, better business
- Business services
- Supply us with goods or services
- Find a commercial property to lease
- Find a commercial property to buy
- Find a business event
- Trading Standards advice for businesses