The current processing time for new applications and changes to benefit claims is an average of 6 weeks.

If you contact us with a general enquiry online we will reply to you within two working days.

You can only make a new claim for Housing Benefit if you meet one of the following criteria: 

  • You are single and of state pension credit qualifying age, or
    Part of a couple and are both of state pension credit qualifying age, or
    Part of a couple and been continuously receiving Pension Credit since at least 14/05/19
    You can find your Pension Credit qualifying age using Check your State Pension age  Opens in a new window
  • Qualify for the severe disability premium  Opens in a new window and receiving Income Support, Employment Support Allowance, Jobseekers Allowance or Housing Benefit or one of these benefits has ended in the last month
  • Live in supported accommodation
  • Have been placed in temporary accommodation by the Local Authority

If not you need to claim Universal Credit  Opens in a new window  for help with paying your rent.

If your circumstances change you must tell us immediately as it could affect the amount you receive.

You must tell us about a change even if you have told another agency, such as the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) or the Pension Service.

If you are not sure if we need to know, tell us anyway. It is better to be safe than sorry.

It is very important that you let us know within one month if there are any changes in your family or financial circumstances.

If you don't tell us about changes when they happen you may be committing benefit fraud and could face criminal charges. You will also need to pay back amounts that have been overpaid to which you are not entitled.