You can only make a new claim for Housing Benefit if you meet one of the following criteria: 

  • You are single and of state pension credit qualifying age, or
    Part of a couple and are both of state pension credit qualifying age, or
    Part of a couple and been continuously receiving Pension Credit since at least 14/05/19
    You can find your Pension Credit qualifying age using Check your State Pension age  Opens in a new window
  • Qualify for the severe disability premium  Opens in a new window and receiving Income Support, Employment Support Allowance, Jobseekers Allowance or Housing Benefit or one of these benefits has ended in the last month
  • Live in supported accommodation
  • Have been placed in temporary accommodation by the Local Authority

If not you need to claim Universal Credit  Opens in a new window  for help with paying your rent.

When we have dealt with your claim for benefit we will send you a decision letter. The letter shows how we have worked out your benefit entitlement and you should check it carefully.

If you think our decision is wrong, you must contact us within one month of the date on our letter otherwise we may not be able to look at the decision again.

You can either:

  1. Ask for an explanation
  2. Ask us to look at the decision again
  3. Appeal against the decision
    Appeals must be made in writing and sent to us within one month of the date on our decision letter. It should include details of the decision you want to appeal against and why you think the decision is wrong. For an appeal to be valid it must be signed by the person making the appeal.

Full details of your appeal rights are given on the benefit decision letters sent to you.

If you make an appeal we will look at your claim again. If we can’t change the decisions, your appeal will be sent to the Tribunals Service unless you decide not to continue with it.