Accessibility Skip to main content

Tell us about a change

What you need to tell us about if you are getting Housing Benefit payments for a tenant.

Your tenants can only make a new claim for Housing Benefit if: 

  • A single person is of state pension age. Or if they are part of a couple and at least one of them was state pension age on 14 May 2019.
    You can find the Pension Credit qualifying age using Check your State Pension age
  • You provide them with supported accommodation
  • They have been placed in temporary accommodation by the Local Authority

If not they need to claim Universal Credit.

It is very important to let us know straight away of changes to your tenancies so we have the right information. You must telling us about any changes as soon as they happen otherwise you may receive money you are not entitled to and will have to pay it back.

We would also like you to tell us of any changes in your tenant's circumstances that you become aware of.

The changes you need to tell us about the tenancy are:

  • Rents going up or down
  • Tenants moving out, even if a tenancy has not ended
  • A tenant moved to a different room in your property
  • The number of people in the household has changed

Things about you:

  • You move house
  • You no longer own the property
  • You have a change in managing agent
  • Your bank details change

Things about your tenant:

  • They are not making their rent payments
  • You are worried about your tenants ability to pay the rent
  • They are in arrears
  • Any other changes which you think may affect the tenant's entitlement to housing benefit

Tell about any of these changes as soon as it happens otherwise you may receive money you are not entitled to and will have to pay it back.

  Tell us about a change

This page was last updated over three months ago

Was this page helpful?

Let us know how we're doing using the form below. We're constantly trying to improve this website and your feedback is very important to us.

We will only use this email address to respond to any issues raised in this feedback.

Contact Landlord information