Accessibility Skip to main content


Care and support needs assessments

We want you to live a healthy, safe and independent life for as long as possible.

If you have looked into all the options available and feel that you need more support, you can ask us to carry out a care needs assessment.

We will talk about how your care and support needs can be met. We will look at the skills, abilities and opportunities in your life and community. This may be support from a friend, a voluntary agency or a private service in your area.

We may also focus on how equipment can help your independence at home. Or it may be that we explore some short-term support to help you recover from an illness.

Below are some useful links to information that might help you find solutions to meet your needs:

What happens next

Where your needs are more complex, we will carry out a full care needs assessment with you. If you think you need social care support, you have the right to ask us to assess your needs. The assessment focuses on the issues that are important to you. It helps you to think about what your strengths are.

  • Your wellbeing - what is important to you in your daily life.
  • Any physical illness or mental health issues.
  • Food and drink - your diet and preparing meals.
  • Personal care - hygiene and being appropriately clothed.
  • Looking after your home.
  • Getting around your home safely.
  • Developing and maintaining family or other personal relationships.
  • Accessing and engaging in work, training, education or volunteering.
  • Getting out and about. Using community services, including public transport and recreational facilities.
  • Carrying out any caring responsibilities.

You may need to make a financial contribution towards the support you need. A trained financial assessor will contact you to arrange a financial assessment. This is also called a means test. This will work out if you need to contribute towards the cost of your care. We can work out whether we will pay for all, or some, of your care costs. The amount we may ask you to pay will depend on your income and any savings you may have.

Visit paying for your care for more information on financial assessments.

You can request an assessment from us by calling 01803 219700.

An assessment could be an individual assessment. Or it could be a combined assessment with a carer and the person they care for. An assessment should be carried out over an appropriate and reasonable timescale. It should take into account the urgency of your needs and any changes in those needs.