If you are the natural parents of a child, and you’ve got married since your child's birth, then you can re-register the child's birth to show they are a child of your marriage. The new birth record replaces the original record and future birth certificates are issued from the new record.
It may be possible to make a change to the name of the child when you re-register. If the child is aged 16 years or over, you must have the child's written consent.
Once a new surname has been given in re-registration it cannot be altered back.
Both the natural parents must sign the form.
A form must be completed for each child with the relevant documentation. The Registrar will then contact you to arrange an appointment.
- Book to give notice
- Book a date for your ceremony
- Copy certificates
- Marriages and civil partnerships
- Citizenship ceremonies
- Other ceremonies
- Changing a child name
- Re-register following the marriage of the natural parents
- Adding the father's details to the birth record
- Gender recognition
- Correcting a birth, death or marriage registration
- Approved Venues
- Torbay Register Office
- The Ceremony Room
- Ceremony Room Civil Partnership Schedule Brochure
- Torbay Register Office Civil Partnership Brochure