We have had to change the way that some of our service operates to meet the guidelines set out by the government in response to the Coronavirus pandemic.

If you are the natural parents of a child, and you’ve got married since your child's birth, then you can re-register the child's birth to show they are a child of your marriage. The new birth record replaces the original record and future birth certificates are issued from the new record.

It may be possible to make a change to the name of the child when you re-register. If the child is aged 16 years or over, you must have the child's written consent.

Once a new surname has been given in re-registration it cannot be altered back.

Both the natural parents must sign the form. 

A form must be completed for each child with the relevant documentation. The Registrar will then contact you to arrange an appointment.

  Apply to re-register a child's birth following marriage of parents Opens in a new window