Any child or young person in Torbay up to School Year 11 needs authority from us to take part in any activity such as:
- sports competitions
- performances with dance or drama Groups
- theatre shows
We grant performance licences when we are satisfied with the child's fitness. We also need to know there are provisions in place for their:
- kind treatment
With regards to employment, we have byelaws in place. These govern:
- the hours and days that children may work at different ages
- the types of work that they may do
- the statutory requirement for children to be approved for suitable work
When the application form is submitted by the potential employer it must be accompanied by a:
- copy of the current Child Safeguarding Policy
- a completed business risk assessment
- a Covid-19 Declaration
Under the byelaws, parents and/or employers can commit an offence by failing to comply with these regulations. This is punishable by a fine of up to £1,000.
If it is found that an employer has contravened H.M. Government or Local Authority Health and Safety Regulations the case may be heard in a Magistrates Court. The maximum fine can be up to £20,000.
If it goes to Crown Court, there will be an unlimited fine. This is subject to changes of current H.M. Government rates.