You or a member of your staff must hold a personal licence if you sell alcohol from a licensed premises and ensure that every sale or supply of alcohol is authorised, by a personal licence holder.

You don’t need a personal licence to sell alcohol under a temporary event notice.

To apply you must be 18 years or older and hold an accredited licensing qualification.

If you live in Torbay you must apply to us for a licence regardless of whether you work in Torbay or not. If you live outside of Torbay, please apply to the local authority Opens in a new window where you live even if you currently work in Torbay.


To apply for a personal licence you will need to have the following:

  • Completed application form
  • Completed disclosure of convictions form
  • A Basic Check issued by the Disclosure and Barring Service for England & Wales which is less than one month old (please send original document, this will be returned)
  • Licensing qualification certificate (please send original document, this will be returned)
  • A copy of a document/or documents which demonstrate your right to work in the UK (a list of acceptable documents can be found in the 'Notes' section of the application form or a
  • 2 passport photographs, one of which must be countersigned by somebody who has known you for at least 2 years, is not related to you and who is of good standing in their community, or who works in (or is retired from) a recognised profession
  • Fee of £37 (please make cheques payable to Torbay Council – alternatively we will contact you to take a card payment)

  Download the Personal Licence Application Form

  Download the Disclosure of Convictions and Civil Immigration Penalties and Declaration Form

Please send your application to:

Licensing and Public Protection
Torbay Council
Town Hall
Castle Circus

Changes to personal details

If you are a personal licence holder it is an offence not tell the Licensing Authority of any changes to your name or address.

You must notify the Licensing Authority that issued your licence, as soon as reasonably practicable.

Lost Licence

If you have lost your personal licence you can make a request for a replacement licence.

You must make your request to the Licensing Authority that issued your licence.

  Report a change of name, address or lost licence Opens in a new window


Once granted, your licence is valid indefinitely.

If you currently hold a personal licence there is no longer any need to renew it as all personal licences are now valid indefinitely. Even if your personal licence has an expiry date printed on it this date is no longer applicable and the licence will remain valid indefinitely after the expiry date.


The fee for a Personal Licence Application is £37
The fee for an updated/replacement licence is £10.50

Personal Licence
Frequently asked questions

In relation to a Personal Licence application, the Chief Officer of Police may object to the application on the grounds of crime prevention if the applicant has a relevant criminal conviction. If there is an objection from the Chief Officer of Police, the applicant will be notified and the Licensing Authority must hold a hearing to consider the objection.