Children who perform, which can include TV or filming, theatre, sporting activities or modelling, must be supervised at all times when they are not actually on stage.

We have a duty to oversee any matters relating to children who perform and this includes ensuring that suitable matrons or chaperones are employed to look after the welfare of children. Any person who holds a Performance and Stage Licence or Approved Body Licence is responsible for ensuring that a child is supervised at all times and under the charge of a chaperone approved by us (except when in the charge of a parent/guardian or tutor).

Anyone wishing to be a Chaperone must have an up-to-date Disclosure and Barring Service Opens in a new window check and be licensed by the local authority where they live. If you live in Torbay you must apply to us.

Parents do not need a chaperone's licence if it is their own children only that they are supervising. They may not act as chaperone to any other child without a licence.

Each chaperone may supervise a maximum of 12 children. Often it will not be appropriate for them to supervise as many as this e.g. depending on the age of the children.


The completed application form should be returned to us by visiting a Connections Office along with the following original supporting documents:

  • Your Passport or Driving Licence
  • One passport-sized photograph
  • Current Utility Bill (within 3 months) showing your name and address
  • Marriage or Birth Certificate
  • Original Disclosure Certificate

Please also take along a copy of each of the above documents except for the photograph. The Advisor at our Connections Office can then check these against the original documents and verify on this copy that the originals have been seen. You will then retain your originals (except for the photograph) and Connections will forward the application, the copy documents and photograph on to us.

  Download a chaperone's licence application

Once we have received all the paperwork we require, we will issue your new licence.

Renew your licence

If your current chaperone licence is due to expire and your DBS check is still valid you can apply to renew your chaperone licence.

  Download a chaperone's licence renewal

The Criminal Records Bureau (CRB) is now called the Disclosure and Barring Service  Opens in a new window  (DBS). A DBS check searches your details against criminal records and other sources, including the Police National Computer. The check may reveal convictions, cautions, reprimands and warnings.

You need to have a recent DBS Certificate showing the employer as us and Chaperone as the position applied for. 

You can apply for an enhanced DBS by contacting  Anagram People  Opens in a new window .