If oil, diesel or petrol has been spilt on a public highway - a road, pavement or verge - following a road traffic accident, call the police on 101. They will notify us of the problem. 

Occasionally, mud or soil can be carried onto the public highway particularly in rural areas or where a development is taking place. It is the duty of the land owner to prevent anything being washed or carried onto the highway where it is sufficient to cause an obstruction of the street or it blocks a drainage facility. If mud has been dropped on the highway, it is the duty of the land owner to remove it as soon as possible.

Failure to comply with a notice within 28 days of the date of issue is committing an offence.

  Report a spillage on the highway

If the spillage is on a motorway or A road then you will need to report it to Highways England Opens in a new window.