If you are not prepared for the possibility of a flood, recovery can be slow, stressful and costly. There are a number of things you can do to make sure you are prepared:
Are you at risk from flooding?
Check if you are at risk from flooding by viewing the Environment Agency’s Flood Maps.
Get flood warnings
If you are at risk of flooding from the sea you can sign up to receive flood warnings. The service is free and you can get warnings by phone, email or text message.
Alternatively you can call Floodline on 0345 988 11 88.
The Environment Agency do not provide a Flood Warning Service for watercourses in Torbay but you can monitor Severe Weather Warnings Opens in a new window via the Met Office website or local TV, Radio and Social Media. Severe weather warnings will alert you to severe weather events which could lead to flooding.
Write a flood plan
If you live in a flood risk area, do what you can now to prepare for a flood. Consider writing your own flood plan so that you have a list of things to do to reduce the impact of flooding. Don’t wait until it happens; you may not have time. Click on the links below for further guidance:
- Prepare a personal flood plan Opens in a new window
- Flood plan guidance for communities and groups Opens in a new window
- Devon Community Resilience Forum Opens in a new window
- Camping and caravan sites: minimise your flood risk Opens in a new window
Protect your property
If you are a homeowner, it is your responsibility to protect your property from flooding. Making your property resilient to floodwater will limit the distress and damage caused by flooding, which means less costly repairs and less time out of your home or business premises. For further advice click on the links below:
- Prepare your property for flooding Opens in a new window
- Prepare your business for flooding Opens in a new window
- National Flood Forum: Ready for flooding - before, during and after Opens in a new window
- Know your flood risk Opens in a new window
Get flood risk insurance
Ensure you have home insurance in place to cover both building (unless rented) and contents. The National Flood Forum provide guidance on getting flood risk insurance Opens in a new window.
- Current emergencies
- Our role before, during and after an emergency
- How you can prepare for an emergency
- Flooding and extreme weather
- Preventing violent extremism and terrorism
- Advice on business continuity
- Bonfire Night safety advice
- Halloween safety advice
- Festive safety advice
- Report a crime or concern
- Fire safety advice
- Safer Communities Torbay