If you work at a language school, you need to let us know if you are arranging for a young person who is under 16 to be looked after by a 'host family' for 28 consecutive days or more because this is private foster care.
Tell us you are arranging private foster care. Link to new contact page
If you are acting as a ‘host family’ for a language school, you must let us know if you are planning to take a young person under age 16 for 28 consecutive days or more, because this is private foster care.
The law requires us to make sure the child will be safe and the arrangement is in their best interests. We will need to assess you and your family members. This assessment will include:
- DBS and health checks on you and all members of your household aged 16 and over.
- Checks on your accommodation to make sure it is suitable and safe
- Making sure you have all the information you need to care for the child
- Regular visits to the child when they are living with you
This assessment will only relate to a particular arrangement. It won’t be an assessment of your general suitability as a private foster carer. We will visit the young person on a regular basis, to check on their welfare.
Tell us you are arranging private foster care on 01803 208100
- Adopt a child
- Become a foster carer
- Family Information Service Directory
- Get help for a child at risk
- Services and support
- Find a job in social work
- Strategies and policies
- Complain about children's social care
- Private fostering
- Child employment
- Peninsula Commissioning and Procurement Partnership
- Special Guardianship Support
- Our Improvement Journey