HMRC requires Local Authorities to carry out tax registration checks (Tax Check) for Hackney Carriage, Private Hire Driver and Private Hire Operator licences from 4 April 2022. This is to check that you are registered with HMRC for Tax and Self-Assessment, if necessary.
This applies if you are:
- renewing a licence
- applying for the same type of licence you previously held, that ceased to be valid less than a year ago
- applying for the same type of licence you already hold with another licensing authority
To do this you will need to obtain a Tax Check code from the Gov.uk website, where you can find more information and guidance on what you have to do. You can also refer to the Tax Check Factsheet to understand what is required. When you’ve completed the tax check, you’ll be given a nine character check code. You’ll need to give this code to us so that we can confirm you have completed the tax check. You can fill this code in on your driver application or renewal form or send this to us by email.
We will only receive confirmation from HMRC that you’ve completed the tax check and we will not have access to information about your tax affairs.
If you have not yet registered for tax and self-assessment, or have forgotten your Government Gateway user ID or password visit HMRC Services: Sign in or Register
We cannot proceed with your licence renewal and grant your licence until you have completed the tax check and provided us with a valid code.
- COVID-19 support for businesses
- Business rates
- Commercial waste and services
- Licensing and permits
- Support for your business
- Consumer advice
- Food safety
- Health and safety at work
- Safer workplace, better business
- Business services
- Supply us with goods or services
- Find a commercial property to lease
- Find a commercial property to buy
- Find a business event
- Trading Standards advice for businesses
- Report a COVID-19 concern or complaint
- Community Renewal Fund
- Town Diary - promotional spaces for hire in Torbay
- A guide to remortgaging your property
- English Riviera Destination Management Plan 2022 – 2027
- Torbay UK Shared Prosperity Fund